Tony Karrer's eLearning Blog on e-Learning Trends eLearning 2.0 Personal Learning Informal Learning eLearning Design Authoring Tools Rapid e-Learning Tools Blended e-Learning e-Learning Tools Learning Management Systems (LMS) e-Learning ROI and Metrics

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

DevLearn - Beer - Who's In? - And Where?

I just saw that BJ had posted about DevLearn and I feel somewhat remiss that he beat me to it. In case you hadn’t heard, The eLearning Guild is hosting DevLearn 2007 in San Jose, CA, November 5-8 2007.

I'll be there (and doing a few presentations and some special sessions for managers with Lance Dublin).

As always, I'll likely be getting together with folks who read this blog and other bloggers and other interesting folks to go have a few beers. It's become somewhat of a tradition for us at conferences (Beer Tasting at ASTD TechKnowledge, Boston, Beer - Bloggers - Learn.com).

Unfortunately, I don't believe that Jim Javenkoski from Unibroue is going to be there and he normally arranges the place for us. So, hopefully we can figure out a way to continue our tradition. Based on the list of speakers, I can tell there are quite a few of us who will likely be going.

Let me know if you are interested and better yet, if you know somewhere in Silicon Valley that might be a good place to drink some good beers and get good food (and would have a nice space for 30 people or so).

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony - I would love to join you (even though I would have to find an alternative to beer... do they do apple cider in the USA?). However, my employers don't see their way clear to stumping up the cash for an international trip for me :-( and my own bank balance won't stretch that far :-((

Don't forget to raise your glasses to absent friends!

Clark said...

Tony, I'll be there (heck, it's in my neighborhood) and I'll likewise being doing (two) management symposiums: immersive learning simulations (read: games) and mobile, as well as a couple of regular sessions. And, naturally, I'm up for beer too (you coulda guessed).

I've a call in to the Tied House to check out their options for us. They're walking distance to the Fairmont, and my preference over Gordon Biersch, as I like ales rather than lagers, and they're more a chain.

We'll definitely have to raise a glass to those who are only there in spirit (as I was last spring, sigh).

Clive Shepherd said...

Would love to join the gang for a night out. Can't suggest any good places in the neighborhood however.

Brian Dusablon said...

I'll be at the event and would love to join you guys - just let me know when and where.

Anonymous said...

Great story! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Tony, I know of at least one GREAT brew pub in San Jose, maybe a half-mile from the convention center. Indeed, it was in 1993 or 1994 that I "discovered" good beer when I went to this particular place after doing trade show duty.

Up until that point, I had never had beer that didn't well, stink. I finally "got" why people would drink the stuff.

Of course, I don't remember the name of the place, but I do remember how to get there.

I'd love to attend and will be there the whole week.

Steve Wexler

Tony Karrer said...

Steve - we need a name!

Tony Karrer said...

Brian - you are certainly invited. Stay tuned.

Anonymous said...

Tony,

I think it is the Tied House, but I am not certain.

Steve

Mark said...

You know I'm in! Although it will be dimmer without Karyn.

Anonymous said...

Aww, Mark - you say the sweetest things!

Brian Dusablon said...

Hey Tony, just checking in - are we on for this deal?

Tony Karrer said...

Brian - and everyone. It looks more like we are going to meet at the welcome reception and go grab dinner/drinks after. Please find me there.